Friday, July 4

Sentimental Journey

May 23, 2008

Nineteen years ago yesterday, I was at the doctor's office asking the doctor if this child I was carrying would ever be born. The due date given to me was May 5th. Needless to say, I was ready for this child to be born. The doctor said that if I didn't start labour by the 25th, I was to go into the hospital and be induced. He then took my blood pressure (it was low), checked to see if I had dilated (I had not) and reminded me to get a lot of rest (SO not a problem).

Nineteen years ago today, my grandparents were over celebrating their anniversary with all of us. They were joking around by telling me I had better not have the baby today. I jokingly replied that I would go into labour today just to "get to them". After my grandparents left and my mother gone to work, I settled down on the sofa to watch hockey with my father and to knit the blanket I was trying to finish. At around 8pm, I felt a "cramp". I passed it off as "something I ate" and kept knitting and watching hockey. These "cramps" kept coming and going and I realised that I had indeed started labour. But I kept quiet about it. My mother was at work until midnight and my father, being the kind and caring father that he is, would have jumped into "OMG!" mode. So I waited until midnight and kept knitting the baby blanket. Right at midnight, I called my mother and told her that I was in labour. By then the pains were about 15 minutes apart. My mother was home within 5 minutes. We waited until 3am before we called a taxi to take us to the hospital. On the way to the hospital, I casually mentioned to mom that my pains were now 5 minutes apart. The cab driver overheard and suddenly sped up. Mom and I started laughing. The look on the driver's face was comical.

We got to the hospital and I was placed in a wheelchair which just baffled me. I was able to walk! They insisted that it was policy. The next thing I know, we were up on the second floor and I was placed on a bed. The nurse came in, checked me, told me I had plently of time, and then left the room.

There were times when I wished they would just knock me out. There were times when I just wanted this OVER WITH! Mostly though, I just wanted to see my child. I wanted to hold my child. I didn't know the sex yet, I wanted to be surprised. I went over the names I had decided on. Jacques or Andre. Those were the names I had picked out. I had picked out Aimee if the baby was a girl. But I was fairly sure that the baby would be a boy.

Nineteen years tomorrow, at 10:21am, the one that would change my life forever was born. The doctor placed him in my arms and I felt my world change instantly. Everything else faded away and I stared at my baby. I felt my first taste of true unconditional love. Nothing would ever be the same - it would be better. Who knew that there could be that much love wrapped up into such a perfect, little package? One look at the beautiful face and I knew he was an "Andre" - manly. He was 8 pounds 6 1/2 ounces and was 24 inches long.

Now my baby's 19 years old. I no longer see the baby in the man I look at now. But I still feel the same waves of love I felt in the labour room. I couldn't be prouder of a person than I am with him. He has his whole life ahead of him and a great "game plan" for it. And I'm the lucky one who gets to watch it happen.

0 comments:

 

Raven's Cry © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner