Saturday, October 4

Routines, Watches and Shopping - oh my!

For the past few weeks now, I've been struggling with something. Every time I would pick Aaron and Adam up for after school daycare or the nanny's, Aaron would freak right out and be upset. I've been pulling my hair out trying to think of some way to stop this. Aaron's upset, I'm upset. It takes at least 30 minutes to calm him down. There must be SOMETHING that would calm him.

Then it hit me. Not literally mind you (although it probably would have worked out better).

In the morning during the week, I prepare him for school. We go through a whole routine of morning prepared-ness. Then he's happy to go to school. At school, he knows that he's going to the after school daycare after final recess. So he's happy to go there. But there's no way for him to gauge when I'm coming to pick him up. So it's a surprise every time. He's not prepared to go home.

Saturday mornings, I prepare him to go to the nanny's. Again, we go through a whole special Saturday routine of prepared-ness. Then he's happy to go there. I think you get where I'm going with this.

My little routine loving man needs to KNOW when things are going to happen and WHEN they are going to happen.

D'uh on me!

After we all got home today, I took Aaron shopping while Adam stayed home with Dad. We went to pick out watches. Not just any watch - his very own watch with an alarm. The idea is to set the alarm for 5pm (4:30pm on Saturdays). That way he'll KNOW that I'm on my way to pick him up and he'll be able to PREPARE for it. No more surprises. Well we'll give it a shot anyway and see if it works.

Of course because Aaron got a watch, Adam got a watch too. Sigh, they're growing up so fast. And of course, I needed a new winter jacket (and gloves) (and a hat) (and a scarf) (and oh! look at the nice PJs for the boys) (and who can pass up the cute Pokemon toys for the boys).

I'm really hoping that the watch idea works. I really don't like seeing him so upset everyday. I'm also going to send a note to the after school place and the nanny explaining what we're trying and asking them to 'play along'.

Funny part:

We were in the checkout line and Aaron decides to talk to the cashier.

Aaron: Hi
Cashier: Hi (smile)
Aaron: You're beautiful
Cashier: Um, thank you
Aaron: Do you close the store?
Cashier: No (smile)
Aaron: You're nice too
Then Aaron babbled on about random things while the cashier did her best to understand what he was saying.

My six year old baby was chatting up the cashier! In his defense, she WAS beautiful. And nice.

0 comments:

 

Raven's Cry © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner