Sunday, October 19

Just an opinion

I was having dinner with some friends of mine when the conversation turned to a TV show called "Moment of Truth". To quote Wikipedia, "Contestants answer a series of 21 increasingly personal and embarrassing questions to receive cash prizes." The grand prize is $500,000 USD.

Now, I have never watched the show. But listening to everyone talk about it, it piqued my curiousity. So I googled about it.

Some of the questions asked to contestants are:

"Do you believe you will eventually break up with (boyfriend's name)?"
"Do you always wash your hands after using the washroom?"
"Have you ever been ashamed of growing up (religion)?"
"Do you think your mother is jealous of your looks?"
"Of all your husbands, do you think your current one is the most handsome?"
"Did you marry your husband for his money?"
"Have you regretted getting back together with your boyfriend, (name)"
(she lied and said no)

Keep in mind that these questions are asked in front of an audience of strangers with their family sitting in the front row. Why would you want to sit in front of all those people and potentially hurt your loved ones? I know. I know. Humanity gets off on 'peeking' into peoples lives. That's why reality shows do so well. We are all voyeurs. I get that. But still. I could not imagine sitting there knowing that my answers could really hurt people. I have skeletons in my closet - as I'm sure we all do. I would really prefer that these skeletons remain in my closet. I'm not proud of a lot of things I've said or done in my life. I have however come to terms with them. But just because I've come to terms with them and have forgiven myself for them, why in the world would I want to drag them out for someone else to have to deal with? There's being truthful and then there's being TOO truthful. There are things that people just don't need to know. For me, some things are worth more than money.

My question to you all is, do you think you could do it? Do you think you could sit there and be asked highly personal (and potentially damaging) questions on the hope that you'll win $500,000?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

And don't forget, the money is taxed in the US, so you're not really getting $500,000. You'll be getting way less than that. I wonder if people even take that into consideration.

 

Raven's Cry © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner